Grilled Turkey Pesto Sandwiches are a great camping lunch or dinner that is easy to make and not heavy like the hamburger camping staple. Making one of these sandwiches is surprisingly easy if you have a decent camping stove and a frying pan.
Prior to camping store some butter or margarine and some pesto in a container and place it in your cooler. Using a single container for both may cause the pesto to get onto the butter slightly, but it will have no impact on preparation or taste. We use a single container for these simply to save space in the cooler, feel free to use separate containers if you have the space.
When you are ready to make the Turkey Pesto Sandwich, use some butter to coat the pan and place two slices of bread in the pan on medium heat. While the bread is browning on one side spread pesto across the top of the bread and place the slices of turkey and cheese on top of the pesto covered bread. After the bread is browned on one side remove it from the pan and place it on a side plate.
Again use some butter to coat the pan and place two slices of bread in the pan on medium heat. Spread pesto across the bread in the pan. Take the open face sandwich slices that you previously placed on the plate and place them facedown on the pesto covered bread in the pan. Flip once to warm the other side briefly. Remove from the heat and serve.
This can also be made using leftover pulled turkey after the holidays if you choose.
- 2 Tablespoons butter/margarine
- 2 Tablespoons pesto
- 4 Slices of bread
- 8-10 Deli slices of turkey
- 2-4 Slices of cheese (we like pepper jack, but any cheese will do)
- Preparation Prior to Camping
- In small container, store 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine and 2 tablespoons pesto. It's OK if they mix a little, we usually put them in the same container to minimize space in the cooler.
- Preparation While Camping
- Place frying pan on the stove and turn on to medium heat.
- Using one tablespoon of butter/margarine, coat an area of the pan large enough for 2 slices of bread, allow the butter to melt.
- Place 2 slices of bread on the melted butter, allow the bread to brown.
- While the bread is browning on the stove, coat upper side of the bread with pesto and add turkey and cheese (we include 4-5 slices of turkey and 2 slices of cheese on each piece).
- Once bread is brown, remove the open faced sandwich from heat and place on plate.
- Add additional butter/margarine to pan and again coat an area of the pan large enough for 2 slices of bread, allow the butter to melt.
- Place remaining 2 slices of bread on the melted butter, allow the bread to brown.
- While the bread is browning on stove, coat upper side of the bread with pesto.
- Take the bread/turkey/cheese that you previously placed on a plate and place it face-down onto the bread in the pan to make a sandwich.
- Once the bottom piece of bread is browned, flip the sandwiches over to heat up the other side again.
- Continue to heat sandwiches on each side until turkey in the center is warm and cheese is melted.
- Remove from pan and serve